Saturday 13 April 2013

Ragdoll Cats

I've been a massive fan of cats ever since I can remember!
I think it kind of rubbed off from my mum, and she is obsessed with cats too.
Years ago, on a show called Blue Peter there was this beautiful cat called Socks: This link will take you to the Breeders Page and how he got to be on Blue Peter!

Socks was a Ragdoll Cat. Ragdolls are a relatively new breed set up by Anne Baker in the 1960's. They are a large a muscular breed with semi-longhair and a silky soft coat.They are best known for their docile and easy-going personality, and were named 'Ragdolls' after the ragdoll doll, that has the tendency to go limp in your arms.

There's a poem that goes:
When you're smitten with a kitten: what's your option?...One adoption!'
 That poem pretty much summed up how we felt about this breed of cats.
So, a couple of years later we adopted two of our own HERE
We have seen them both from 5 weeks old, and the breeder has been EXCELLENT. If for whatever reason you are in the market for some Ragdoll cats her 'Pride' is the place to go!
This is Henry, named after my great granddad who sadly passed away on the day we decided to get get him. 
He's a 'seal point', in snazzy official terms.
He is a loving boy who loves nothing more than a full stomach and a lap to fall asleep on! He is sooo active and loves to play, sometimes he just has a crazy half hour running around the house! I remember on new years day, as soon as the clock struck 12 he went especially crazy. It's like he knew! Ragdolls are bred as indoor cats because of their trusting nature, but are allowed outside under human supervision. So now the weather has been getting warmer, they both have been going outside a lot more. When we don't have the time to go out with them, Henry sometimes stands on his hind legs and scratches the patio door, which is the funniest thing. When he meows it sounds like he has a sore throat; all his sharp teeth are exposed when he does this, and my mum sometimes calls him 'Edward's Boy' after the twilight saga (she is on the second book at the moment.)
Henry is a very stinky boy......lets just say that the whole street knows when he has used the litter tray ;-) *slight exaggeration*



This is Jay-Jay: a name which stemmed from Jake Junior, Jake being his fathers name. 

He is a 'Blue Lynx Bi-colour'
Jay-Jay and Henry both have different parents but were born only a week apart and have been raised together, drinking milk from the others mother, etc. Jay-Jay is more laid back than Henry. He doesn't go crazy like Henry does, but he does have his moments when he has a little 'sugar rush', so to speak. Jay-jay is even more of a lap cat than Henry is, any opportunity to lay on your lap and a blanket is not wasted. He can be a bit of a moaner though, (and they say Ragdolls aren't meant to be vocal!) but that is only usually for food or cuddles; especially in the morning when he hasn't seen you all night, he just wants to be stroked. Unfortunately, this is also the time when we don't have any time to give him cuddles, as we are busy getting ready for the day!
My mum believes that he 'chose' her, as on the day we first went to visit all the kittens that were available he sat right beside her and fell asleep.

So he was ours, and we were his. 



A while ago I had a Siamese fighting fish, bur when we moved house we had to leave him behind with my cousin . So, I guess these are the first proper pets that I've had. I knew that I always wanted cats, and 6 1/2 months have just reinforced how much I love cats.


I could have written so much more about them,,  for example Henry escaped to next door (who owns a big dog!) a couple of days ago, and an escape party had to ensue; or I could tell you about the endless nicknames that my crazy cat lady mother makes for them. 

:-) 

I hope you enjoyed hearing about my cats- I enjoyed telling  typing it! 



*Sparkle*---
Rachel   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment